CU for Sendong

Have you heard about the news in Cagayan de Oro and many other places in the Philippines? Yes, I live in Cagayan de Oro, and yes, we did in fact get hit by the horrible Bagyong Sendong. I hoped to blog about the last few days of school before the holiday break, but this is undoubtedly more important than any other shit that comes up in my life.


Have you seen all those pictures of CDO recently? Our city is a mess, and it’s such a shame that we weren’t able to prepare for such a catastrophe. Sure, not EVERYONE died, but does it matter how many people survived? Even if one person died in the world, we should care. And look, hundreds of people died, how much more should we care for them? Can there please be a way to shed some light on the people who urgently need help?


I was at Capitol University's gymnasium for the past two days of volunteer work for the victims of the recent visit of Bagyong Sendong. I couldn't believe that it wiped out almost all of Cagayan de Oro. Our city was the most badly hit among all of the affected places with Iligan coming second.


I wasn't alone, though. I went with my aunt and my brother, and when we arrived, lots of people were there already, many of which we already knew. I was all, "YES! They received my text!" while I was silently screaming inside.


I wanted to go to one of the evacuation centers, but they're packed with volunteers. Promise, they have more than enough volunteers there. That's why I decided to help in CU instead because they're distributing goods in places filled with people unable to go to a center. Those places to me are the most important. The evacuation centers are filled with safe and comfortable places to sleep, lots of electric fans and air-cons to keep them cool, clean water for drinking and hygiene, volunteers who constantly provide for them, and many more. I'm pretty glad that some people live in those conditions for now, but how about the others, right? Those in the destroyed neighborhoods and mud-filled streets.. just.. no.


Although I didn't necessarily do anything on the second day to significantly help, I was there, writing to merely deploy the message to all able-bodies people who should help their kababayan. I was not spreading demands, rather I was spreading pleads for anyone who can help, to help.


I know that we humans are not heartless, we just choose the times when we use our hearts. Ladies and gentlemen, now is the time for us to use it and spread the love, and of course be thankful that we are healthy and stable unlike several people attacked with not one, but numerous casualties that have put a permanent scar on their already not-so-perfect lives. an we not just use the hours that we spend sitting down and watching TV to help the people who seemingly have minutes, heck, seconds left to survive in a world that no one can control?


Right now, I am very thankful for the people who helped, and are helping as of now in packing the relief goods for the victims.


Check these pictures out. Seeing people help the victims, although indirectly, was one of the most heartwarming sights I have ever seen. It made my heart melt, every damned second of it.




Earlier in the morning, the water station was empty. We were relieved that the water finally arrived! 



Almost done packing the clothes, but there were more to come! Not like it's a bad thing. :D



A few of my brother's friends and my brother and aunt helping fold the clothes to be packed.



Josh and Tedjay, two CUBED 2nd Year students taking a short break before helping out again.



A few random people, along with two CUBED 4th Year students helping out.




Oh well, I wanna go there again tomorrow. Expect more posts about the tragic week and soon about some holiday and school stuff. Now isn't the time to be jolly, sad to say.

0 comments:

Post a Comment